Tuesday, January 24, 2006

A note on WSIS (before I completely forget)

Well, it's been so long since I've wrote anything here. I keep on putting aside ideas for future posts, but not getting the time to actually write them. Looks like I have to learn making shorter posts more frequently :)

Anyhow, the WSIS topic is left somehow open from my previous post and what I wanted to do is to put a temporal stop here.

It seems to me that the de-facto main issue of WSIS is left undecided. There was no decision on the structure of Internet governance and it seems like the decision was not to decide. Unless I miss something critical here, the decision not to decide means the US point of view prevailed. The web is left to evolve within the current set of rules and governing bodies, with a committee established to think about the future. However, I am left with a feeling of ambiguous ending for the summit. I do not see what were the practical outcomes, either in the original (development) or the emerged (governance) tracks. Or maybe nothing practical was supposed to come out of the summit? I am confused...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Like, duh.